............doing what we are able, by the grace of God, to the glory of God..........
17 September, 2009
L.O.V.E.
The tomatoes have finally produced, and I've been busy this week canning and freezing, and trying to stay on top of everything. So, when a piano students mom looked at my 3 bushels of tomatoes and said to me, you could have those done in 3 hours, my ears perked up. I of course wanted to know how on EARTH that could possibly happen. So, she shared with me her way of canning, and I am in love! It's SO much easier for me, especially with a little kiddo who needs my attention without warning. There is no blanching and skinning of tomatoes involved which is pretty much amazing to me because that's the part I hate. You also don't have to process them, you just flip them upside down.
See?
I love learning new tricks of the trade, and this is by far one of my favs thus far!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
This processing method looks super quick and easy--awesome!
As far as the flipping them upside-down method, I don't want to rain on your kid-friendly-canning parade, but you might want to look up some articles regarding food safety for fruits like tomatoes. According to any ag-extension, you're actually supposed to make sure to pressure cook tomatoes, or at the very least hot water can them for an appropriate amount of time with added acid.(http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/nutrition/DJ1097.html) The jars WILL seal with the flipping them upside-down method, but bacteria can still grow inside. I know you mentioned you'd cooked the tomatoes prior to packing them, so it's possible that takes care of this step, but there's probably still a chance of re-introducing bacteria as you move them to the jars...
It's obviously your decision, but I know I did a lot of research before processing my tomatoes last year and some of the information suprised me. I just wanted to make sure you had all the information before deciding how you want to proceed.
Happy Canning!
Oops, link didn't work--too long. Here's a shortened version (that should actually work)from the University of Minnesota's Agriculture Department: http://bit.ly/8FnoO
liz.. thanks for the link. i had looked into a little bit. the lady i got the method from has canned like this for 40+ years, and has never had any trouble because i did question her on it. she said that because you cook the snot out of them on the stove, that gets rid of the bacteria? i don't know. i'm going to try some this way this year, and see what happens. i figure it can't hurt, and if it works, then it's awesome!
The cooking could do it--it'll be interesting to see how they turn out. It certainly would be a time saver! And hey, even if you find you have to process them just not having to blanch/peel/cut, etc. will be a big time saver. If we ever get enough tomatoes to can this year (most of ours were lost to late blight) I'll have to get the whole method from you! :) Though I think I'm still too much of a worrier to put them on the shelf without actually processing them in the jar...
Post a Comment