03 September, 2009

tomato, tomato

We finally have some tomatoes worth canning.
Don't they look delicious?

 


I have put up salsa, and spaghetti sauce already, but I was able to put up some stewed tomatoes. MY FAVORITE! If you ask me they are the most versatile, and you get the most for your work. We've got 9 quarts of them now. Only 25 or so more to go... see that space at the bottom? i don't understand it. it drives me nuts. the jar was packed full to the top and that's what it came out as.... i know it's cooking down and what not, and i fill them as full as i can with leaving headspace...any ideas fellow gardeners?

3 comments:

Liz K said...

I had this happen too...and my mom who has been canning tomatoes for at least 30 years, told me some of it has to do with the tomatoe. She always cans romas because they don't have as much water and don't do that as bad. I wondered with mine if I wasn't screwing the lids on tight enough. Don't know if that's the answer, but I think I might try it next time.

MikeandJen said...

thanks liz. they actually are romas. i like canning them because they aren't as juicy. i just don't know. i ran a spatula down inside of them to get out the air... i just can't figure out why there is so much extra space....

Liz said...

They look so pretty!

In response to your question about making my own granola, I do, in the crockpot as well! Maybe I'll do a recipe for that sometime too.

I can't believe is so grown up already--I know he is, but it seems like he was just born!