12 October, 2009

sweet sweet sleep

The kid is not sleeping. AT.ALL.

We are about at our wits end over here. He was doing so well. He would go down and sleep until around 5 or 6. I can handle 5 or 6, no problem. Then, little by little, he kept trying to push the time back. We would occasionally make him cry it out again to get him back closer to 6.

Maybe it's a growth spurt, maybe it's teeth.

but he is NOT sleeping.

Last night he woke up around 12:15, and screamed until 1:30 when we finally gave him and got him. I was starting to wonder if it was his tooth. He is cutting a top tooth right now, so we got up, gave him some tylenol etc, and got him back down. He was up again at 5:30.

The night before he was up around 3:30 screaming. We were strong, we were tough, and then we heard... KKAWHHAAAAMMM! He had been standing in his crib, and fell and smacked his poor little face against the side of the crib. Obviously we had to go in and make sure he wasn't gushing blood and the entire hour we'd laid in bed listening to him scream had been wasted.

*sigh* I don't know what to do. We've tried crying it out, we've trying letting him sleep with us (something I swore we'd NEVER do), we've tried going in soothing him and putting him back down. NOTHING works.

I'm so tired, and really wishing for a full night of sleep.

Maybe when he's 1?

2 comments:

Liz said...

Oh, that's rough, I'm sorry Jen! Lydia did the exact same thing for apparently no reason off and on for a couple of months right around Levi's age. It was sooo frustrating--and seemingly unprovoked and unpredictable. We though it was teething, or missing naps, or growth spurt--but nothing seemed to work. I was sure I was in for another kid that didn't routinely sleep through the night until past 3...BUT, at some point she just stopped doing it and since just past a year old she's been an AMAZING sleeper--like 11-12 hour nights and a 2-3 hour nap. She almost never wakes up during the night and even when she does she can usually settle herself and go back to sleep. So hang in there, there's still hope. Sorry I don't really have any advice on how to make it better, though. :(

Rebecca said...

i'm so sorry for your rough nights. we're having those as well (with leila!). it's so hard when you're not getting very much sleep. and it always seems like just when you have it figured out, things change. i don't have any advice, but i'm thinking of and praying for you guys!