............doing what we are able, by the grace of God, to the glory of God..........
09 July, 2012
Food Inc.
Mike and I have been working more and more towards eating more locally, homegrown, food for quite a while. It all started with our, on a whim, garden, 6 years ago, and our love for it has grown over the years. My love for canning and preserving has grown over the years, and this past year, we've done even more with watching what we buy, eating more organic, more local etc.
Last night we started watching the documentary Food Inc. If you want to change your view of food... watch it. or at least be prepared to want to change what and where you buy your food. We watched it on Netflix by the way. It was one of those, this could be life-changing, kind of shows. It was so disturbing to learn more about where our food comes from, how animals are treated, how farmers are treated by big companies. It was eye-opening to say the least. A friend of mine was telling me that we've been duped into believing that $2\lb beef or chicken is a good buy, but in reality, if we want to buy ethically raised meat, then we should be prepared to spend more like $6-7\lb. That's realistic. Not $2\lb.
I went to bed thinking about whether we could afford grass-fed beef, that maybe we should just become vegetarians, or whether we should pursue our dream of having a big sustainable farm. wow. that was a lot to think about while I drifted off to sleep.
This morning, I just keep thinking about how the Lord commands us to be good stewards of what we are given, and last night, as I watched this documentary, I knew in my heart that we are NOT being good stewards of what we have. We as a society are laced with consumerism, and demand what we what it, when we want it. Red tomatoes in January? Absolutely. Who cares where they come from, or how they got that way. We all fall victim to it, but this morning I am challenged to think outside of that box. How can I change what we do as a family, in a sustainable, affordable way.
I don't know the answers, but I do know that it's something we'll be talking a lot more about as a family. I challenge you to watch the documentary, and change our world, for the better.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Absolutely agree! We watched that awhile back and came away from it with the same attitude and opinions. We also started thinking how to go forward, found a couple local farms that sell grass fed beef in large quantity. For us it seemed very expensive,not per pound but paying for a years worth was a huge chunk of money...we have a large garden, but are looking for more ways to change our lives in this area as well!
Good thoughts to mull over, I agree. We've been on the same train of thought for a while now, too and have been gradually doing local, organic, as much as possible. It's easy to just eat a chicken salad and not think about where it came from - from the farm, the farmer, and the animal's care. It all matters and if more people would consider where the food comes from and how it was farmed - what an impact on this earth! and our health, and many other things. We've been doing organic, CSA, and grass fed beef for a while and just recently switched to local organic milk. Feels better.
Post a Comment