27 December, 2013

Decisions, Decisions


As most of you know, we have been trying to decide this pregnancy what we wanted to do in terms of our birth experience. After 24 hours labor, followed by a C-section, we gave birth to Levi. When I became pregnant with Ruby, we talked quite a bit about a VBAC. (vaginal birth after cesarean) At 38 weeks, after arguing constantly with my OB about it, I finally agreed to let him schedule a C-section, 1 week after my due date. If I hadn't gone into labor, then I would consent to a C. Ruby was born via c-section.

2 falls ago when I was pregnant, I knew immediately I wanted to switch OB's to increase my odds of a VBAC. After talking with numerous people, we switched to a different dr. In the end, it didn't matter, because we lost that baby. When I became pregnant again this last fall, I stayed with who my "new" OB was.

I made my thoughts to him very clear from the get go. After several appointments that didn't go very well, and just not feeling like I was connecting with him as a Dr, we made the decision to switch back to my old OB (who, minus the whole C-section bit, I really liked). I knew when I made that decision, I sealed the deal in terms of a C-section vs. VBAC, but in the end, I was okay with that.  The only real option to have a VBAC was to travel to Ann Arbor to UofM, and that's just not in the cards in our life.

I had my first appt with my new (old) OB yesterday. He asked why I left, and why I was back, and I gave him the story of why I was where I was, which most definitely included him. ;) All that to say, in the end, I'm at peace with this decision, and I'm thankful to be back at a practice where I feel like I matter, and feel like the Dr cares who I am and what we are about, and really that's what matters in the end.


1 comment:

Liz K said...

oh these things are so hard! But I am glad you are back with an OB that cares. And remember, (because I need to hear this again and again) the goal of all of this is a healthy baby and mama. :) Love you