I hang the pocket part of the diapers up to dry...I have thrown them in the dryer, but you really aren't suppose to. The liners are fine in the dryer, but in the summer I hang them out in what sun I can find in the woods to bleach them and sanitize. My mother in law bought me this wonderful drying rack from the Amish store...this puppy isn't going to blow over in a slight breeze like my other one!
I have used vinegar and baking soda before to get rid of the stink. I also buy a huge thing of oxi clean and every so often "stripe" the diapers and liners to get rid of the soap build up. You should also run them with no soap on a hot cycle every so often. There is tons of articles and advice on the web, a lot of it is conflicting. I have decided to use unscented All as a detergent right now...I hate scented stuff and although some sites say not to use it, others say it's ok.
I have found that there is a lot of consumerism in the cloth diapering category...you have to buy all this special stuff...special wipes, special detergent, special bum cream...our grandmothers used cloth all the time and didn't have to have all that, and part of the beauty of the cloth is that it should keep us from having to do all that. I haven't ever bought new diapers even, (reduce, reuse, recycle) I have hand me downs from relatives, used from craigslist and ebay. My mom has been on the hunt for them, and now I have quite the collection of second hand diapers, which is great! I use just a plain old garbage can with a lid for a diaper pail and most of the gunk comes off the diaper just fine without one of those fancy hose things. I use homemade wipes (the babywash and paper towel kind) and they can flush easily in the toilet.
Hope tat helps some...how are you feeling about the whole idea of cloth full time?
Very nice! I always forget how much I love black and white pictures, and then something like this reminds me. I need to do some more of Lucas and Holly.
You'll get a routine and feel down with the diapers...and figure out what works for you as a family. For us, that has meant we don't use cloth at night or on the road (I think I have told you that before) Just like everything else, it will take some getting used to, but you'll figure it out. And doing disposable with a newborn is probably wise...you will have enough going on without having to worry about keeping up with laundry so the kid will have diapers:) The only reason we still used cloth with Forrest when Elliot was born was because my mom was here to help and then Noah's mom...otherwise we would have resorted to disposables! And it's ok if you go through seasons where you put the cloth on hold, like during diaper rash times.
4 comments:
Great photos! To answer your questions....
I hang the pocket part of the diapers up to dry...I have thrown them in the dryer, but you really aren't suppose to. The liners are fine in the dryer, but in the summer I hang them out in what sun I can find in the woods to bleach them and sanitize. My mother in law bought me this wonderful drying rack from the Amish store...this puppy isn't going to blow over in a slight breeze like my other one!
I have used vinegar and baking soda before to get rid of the stink. I also buy a huge thing of oxi clean and every so often "stripe" the diapers and liners to get rid of the soap build up. You should also run them with no soap on a hot cycle every so often. There is tons of articles and advice on the web, a lot of it is conflicting. I have decided to use unscented All as a detergent right now...I hate scented stuff and although some sites say not to use it, others say it's ok.
I have found that there is a lot of consumerism in the cloth diapering category...you have to buy all this special stuff...special wipes, special detergent, special bum cream...our grandmothers used cloth all the time and didn't have to have all that, and part of the beauty of the cloth is that it should keep us from having to do all that. I haven't ever bought new diapers even, (reduce, reuse, recycle) I have hand me downs from relatives, used from craigslist and ebay. My mom has been on the hunt for them, and now I have quite the collection of second hand diapers, which is great! I use just a plain old garbage can with a lid for a diaper pail and most of the gunk comes off the diaper just fine without one of those fancy hose things. I use homemade wipes (the babywash and paper towel kind) and they can flush easily in the toilet.
Hope tat helps some...how are you feeling about the whole idea of cloth full time?
your camera takes great pictures! i love the shots you got!
Very nice! I always forget how much I love black and white pictures, and then something like this reminds me. I need to do some more of Lucas and Holly.
You'll get a routine and feel down with the diapers...and figure out what works for you as a family. For us, that has meant we don't use cloth at night or on the road (I think I have told you that before) Just like everything else, it will take some getting used to, but you'll figure it out. And doing disposable with a newborn is probably wise...you will have enough going on without having to worry about keeping up with laundry so the kid will have diapers:) The only reason we still used cloth with Forrest when Elliot was born was because my mom was here to help and then Noah's mom...otherwise we would have resorted to disposables! And it's ok if you go through seasons where you put the cloth on hold, like during diaper rash times.
Post a Comment