27 April, 2009

shady shifting

shady shifting..

that's what levi does.

Levi has thus far been sleeping in a cradle in our room. However, over the weekend, we moved Levi to his crib. We moved him because, as I said, he's a shady shifter. For quite sometime now it seems as if Levi is not interested in being swaddled anymore. When we swaddle him up he screams until we take his arms out, or he punches his way out. He scoots and shifts out of any blanket we put him in. Well, Saturday night we woke up to a terrifying scream. This was not an "I'm hungry" scream. Both Mike and I jumped out of bed, flipped on the lights, and he had shifted and turned around and got both of his little legs stuck between the spindles in his cradle. He's fine, we're fine.. but after that stunt, he was out of that thing.

So, last night was his first night in his crib, and he did awesome. I knew he would be fine, and of course he was. It was very different to not have him in our room, but it was nice. And I feel TONS better knowing he's got much more room to do his shady shifting than before.

Anyone have any shifting tips? He seriously will do a 180 in the crib, and we don't know what to do to help him. It seems like he's restless but he seems to hate being swaddled as well...

4 comments:

Sonya said...

AH! I have no advice, but am glad the switch to the crib went well. :) Levi is getting so big so fast!

Ashley Pichea [PicheaPlace.com] said...

put him on his belly to sleep... i know that it's against the "doctor's orders", but we did it with both kids, as they too were shifters... it helps them to stay asleep...

Liz said...

does he wake himself up when he's shifting around? If not, just let him do his thing...Lydia wanted nothing to do with swaddling, so she was pretty much always wiggling around. Oh, the only thing I can think of is...do you have a sleep-sack? They're like a little vest on top and a blanket on bottom, but safe because they're ON the baby and can't get pulled over the face, etc. These have been must haves for both my kids, even "don't swaddle me!" Lydia. She still sleeps in one. It keeps them a bit more contained/warm than without, but not so much they hate it if they're not digging the swaddle thing. Worth a shot...

Liz K said...

I'm with Liz...if he isn't waking himself up, let him be. Forrest would sleep the short way in his crib until he was too long...they are just little people who are trying to figure out this whole body thing. If you are worried about him being cold, you could get a space heater for his room.