25 May, 2010

high praise

This past Friday was my kiddos piano recital. They all worked so incredibly hard for the past few weeks, working on their songs, learning new things, and allowing me to push them a little farther than I normally would on a piece.

I love teaching.
I love my kids.
I love sharing music with them.

A grandparent said to me at the recital on Friday...
"You should be proud. You have a natural ability to work with these kids, and you make it fun."

That's probably the highest compliment I could ever receive.

I certainly believe that what I do is important, but I find that most times, private music instructors push kids too far, trying to turn them into professional musicians, which, in my opinion, is ridiculous. 98% of these kids will never do anything beyond basic lessons, and I don't feel it's valuable to push them towards performing. I want to instill in them a love of music, a way to share it with other people, and be proud of their accomplishments, whatever they may be.

I am honored to teach these kiddos, and I'm so thankful for them and their families. They bless my soul immensely, and I can only pray I do the same for them.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Sounds like you are a great teacher, Jen. If one of our kids ends up wanting to take lessons, we know who to call! :)

sonya said...

Not everyone can teach. Not everyone can play the piano. So wonderful you can use your gifts! I took lessons as a child and struggled with not wanting to play for several years (I had no choice in the matter!). My piano teacher was wonderful and let me go at my own pace and play from books I wanted to. I regret not having to motivation to be better, back then! I'm so grateful I took piano lessons. It's such a wonderful thing to be able to sit and play, even if I'm not that good. :)