Oh the joys of family!! :)
Last night my mom called. She was cleaning up from dinner and wanted to "let us know" that my Grandpa had gone into the hospital. He wasn't feeling well, went to the ER and was admitted for what they think is a bleeding ulcer. My grandma barely knows what is going on most of the time and was trying to navigate our beloved health care system by herself. So last night, April and Brian, and Mike and I traversed to the hospital to see my Grandpa. He's fine, and apparently its nothing major, (however he is in step-down) but the communication factor needs to be worked out. My grandparents are 76 and 82 respectively, and they need help, whether they like it or not. Part of the reason Mike and I haven't moved is because my grandparents share a wall with us and that has come in rather handy. Now, maybe I'm crazy, but it seems to me that they could have stopped for a split second to knock on our door and let us know they were headed to the hospital, but who knows!
Anyway, it was just a glimpse into our family, who you think is organized, but clearly is not at all. I might be headed up again today because he is having an Endoscopy done to see if it is a bleeding ulcer and my mom is unsure if she can get the time off to head up to the hospital.
On a side note, the step-down unit and outpatient surgery is on the same floor. When we left the hospital, we walked by outpatient, and it just reminded me that the last time we were in the hospital was for my surgery, just another sobering reminder that I'm not pregnant. I have those a lot. I was pushing a cart down a ramp at the mall the other day, and suddenly my mind was flooded with thoughts of baby strollers and how that is what I should have been pushing come May. It hits you in the most unexpected ways, like hospitals and mall ramps.
1 comment:
I know what you mean. When you don't want to think about something, sometimes those reminders just smack you in the face! (((HUGS)))
Prayers for your grandpa too. Hope all turns out OK. I definitely know how it is to have grandparents you worry about!
Post a Comment