23 January, 2008

Maybe This is Why...

For all of you waiting anxiously on the edge of your seat about my grandpa...
He's doing okay.

He had an endoscopy done to see what was going on. They figure he has around 20 bleeding ulcers in his stomach. Most of it stems from him taking OTC drugs without consulting his doctor. The doctors said it was really good that he came in, because it was serious enough that he could have bleed to death from it..... which thus explains why he was mysteriously in step-down.... He's still in the hospital, but probably will come home today with a VERY strict diet.

Another side note. Yesterday I got an email from a dear friend. we don't talk often, but we were really close in college. I had emailed her just randomly the other day; she emailed back to say hi and then told me that they were going to call us the first of the year to let us know that they were pregnant, but then ended up losing the baby. Tears flowed as I read her email. I could just feel the pain in her email, and the games we play as we try to tell ourselves its okay, when your heart is breaking into a million little pieces. I wrote her back and told her about mine, she never even knew I was pregnant.

In that moment, I realized how much I can help OTHER women who go through this, and it just touched my heart. I stopped for a moment and was thankful that I had gone through it, so I could encourage my friend. I don't think I've ever quite been thankful for what happened, but last night when I read that email, I was. Maybe this is why we went through this miscarriage. I just took a moment to thank God for this opportunity to really truly understand how my friend is feeling and hopefully be able to help her through this time. I often question why we went through this, why it was chosen for us, and in that split second of reading her email, I understood. Maybe this is why....

2 comments:

Christina Weedon said...

I'm so glad you're able to be there for your friend... one of those silver lining moments, right?

Keep up the good attitude :o)

Jessica said...

It feels really good when we can be empathetic, rather than just sympathetic doesn't it? I'm sure you helped your friend more than you realize..