07 March, 2008

Choir Festival and Crazy Kids

Yesterday I played for Choir Festival. It's kind of like the "big event" of the year. The kids work towards it all year. They learn 2 pieces of music. We go to festival, where they perform in front of judges who rate them based on 5 different things, all boring stuff. : ) Then, they head to clinic where a judge comes in and tells them what they did well, what they could have done better etc. Then they move to sightreading, where they take a piece of music and read it "on-sight" seeing it for the first time. They use what we call solfege.. remember the "Do a deer a female deer" song from Sound of Music? Do Re Mi Fa Sol La Ti Do.. that's solfege. : )

Anyway, it was a very long, but fun day.

The craziest part of the day was when in 1 choir, we had 2 kids pass out!! It was super hot, in all the rooms. I was wearing a tank top and a really light cardigan sweater and was sweating, and these kids were wearing polyester robes etc. This particular choir had been there since 2:00, it was 6:00. They had eaten lunch at 11:30 and my guess would be none of them had drank anything since then. Well, we were warming up, and all of sudden this girl hit the floor! When she came to, the first thing she said was.. I can't see.. .which of course sent everyone into panic mode. I was getting water, one kid ran to get an adult that was running the festival. It was a bit scary, but once she got some water she was okay. Thankfully, we got through performance without it happening. We went to clinic, and another girl passed out there. So, then the festival got us a whole bunch of water and cups, and I was passing out water to everyone!!! We needed no one else passing out. Crazy Kids!!

Overall the choirs did fairly well. The best you can get at festival is a 1 rating (I) I played for 7 choirs, and we got 4 I's, 2 II's and 1 III, which we knew was coming. Those that got ones will then be invited to perform at State Festival which will be the end of April.

I also ended up picking up another choir while I was there. It was fine. I met up with them in the warm-up room. She turned around to introduce herself, and she was probably 6 or 7 months pregnant. I just stopped in my tracks. It was a hard morning thinking about how I would have been 7 months pregnant right now. Truth? I was somewhat thankful at the end of the day that I wasn't pregnant. I was exhausted and tired, and it would have been infinitely harder had I been, but still it was bittersweet.

I've been realizing more and more, that those "milestones" we always be there. Thinking "this is how far along I should have been" etc, won't stop in May. It will forever continue, I should have had a kid that was X years old, etc etc. Just one more reminder that this has forever changed our lives, but I am thankful for the experience (although it wasn't what we expected) because it has made us more aware of other people's loss and how much it affects your life.

No comments: