02 September, 2008

an interesting offer...

So, today I got a call from one of the directors I accompany for in the area. He is more than likely going to be hired at a church to be their choir director as well. They apparantley are looking for an accompanist and asked if he knew of anyone. He said of course he did, and gave me a call!
The gig is this:
Thursday nights from 7-8 + drive time, and Sunday mornings 2 services...
18k a year..
AMAZING OFFER!
My two major concerns:
1) We have a group of friends we meet with on thursdays. We love them dearly and I hate the thought of having to miss group every single week.
2) We LOVE LOVE LOVE our church family right now. We're just now starting to get involved, and especially with a baby on the way, I have to uproot right now. Also, I hate the idea of going to a church simply because I'm being paid to be there. I've NEVER done that, I"ve always thought of my piano ability as more of an opportunity to serve, rather than to make money.
HOWEVER:
I'm really struggling with wanting to go back to the symphony this fall and we've considered me not going back several times, however the pay cut is just too significant to take, especially with peanut coming. This job would allow me to stay home, teach just 2 days at home, and keep accompanying....
So many decisions... if you think of us, pray that we will be able to make a wise decision regarding all of this!!!!

4 comments:

LoriLiz said...

biased opinion here....don't leave the Symphony.....PLEASE. Whoelse would put up with my boy learning the piano???????? Seriously, I will be praying for you.

Liz K said...

YES! That is my favorite kind! And I think I will get a blueberry one too! But the éclairs...by far my favorite.

How are you feeling today?

Jessica said...

Wow, that is a great offer! I don't have much advice on the "new church" front, but as far as the Thursday thing goes - I know at least 2 people would be open to meeting on another night. ;) We'd hate to lose you guys!

I LOVE LOVE being at home with my kids. If this job would allow you to be with peanut more, I would have to say that is a very very good thing (provided you WANT to stay home, LOL). I know that in the future I will never ever say, "I wish I spent more time at work." In my opinion, no additional time spent with your child(ren) is ever wasted!

We will be praying for you in this decision though!!

Liz K said...

Thanks for enjoying the donut for me! I appreciate it:) Yes, I am feeling you on how long pregnancy is! I can't believe I still have two MONTHS!