I'm making a list of things to take to the hospital.
Anyone have any must-haves, or I had this and didn't need it advice for me?
For baby:
An outfit
Burp Cloth
Pacifier
A couple of diapers
Hat for coming home
For me:
PJ's\Robe
Toiletries
Hard Candy
Tennis Balls
Movies
Boppy (should I bring this)
Slippers
Socks (for delivery)
For Mike:
Clothes
Robe
Toiletries
$$ for snacks
Books
List of phone numbers :)
Camera and Video Camera
That's what I've got at the moment. Anything I'm missing?
10 comments:
i don't know specifically what foote provides (i'm assuming that's where you're planning to deliver), but most hospitals will provide enough diapers and wipes for your stay and you get to take the extras (usually half a bag or so) home with you... and most maternity wings have snack room for moms (and dads, too) as well as provide enough food on the meal trays for both (or some provide a "guest" meal)... you'll probably get some type of diaper bag from the hospital, as well as lots of "goodies" (some not so good) - at one hospital we got a fruit basket and buttons with our baby's footprint on it, at another we got a blanket and "it's a boy" buttons... if you have a laptop, you will probably want to take it to upload pictures and updates - most hospitals have wi-fi now - plus you will get bored laying in bed for two days (or more depending on your situation)... just a few ideas... hope it helps! :) and you might want comfy clothes for after delivery... hospital gowns (though they mean well) are less than comfy - i took sweats and "baggy" tops (easy to nurse with)... and you may want a throw from home - hospital bedding tends not to be the warmest or most comfortable...
I am a huge advocate for not wearing your own jammies in the hospital...while those hospital gowns aren't the greatest, they are made for ease...
Things are fairly, um, messy after delivery, for a long time, and it's better to let the professionals deal with the laundry! And I always have issues in the southern hemisphere, so wearing pants wasn't a good option for me.:)
All that to say, just bring a outfit to wear home...and it should probably be a maternity outfit, although I know you are ready to burn those clothes!
Car seats are important:) And blankets to wrap that little person in.
We never really watched movies, although we always brought them. We have a laptop and that has come with us, very handy and both hospitals we have been in have had wireless for free.
Bring a cell phone if you have one...very handy.
The boppy...I never used the one we had, still don't. But I would suggest extra pillows and maybe an extra blanket for Mike.
I think that's it! And yah, coming up to camp 2 weeks before delivery probably isn't a good idea...too bad
ah yes car seat, that's in the car ready to go, so it wasn't even on my list...i am delivering at foote.. i have no idea what they provide though... maybe i should find that out though....:)
we have a laptop, but it doesn't have wireless..
i'm planning on taking just some sweats to wear afterwards. we'll see how i feel. maybe i'll want them, maybe i'd rather just be in the gown, i have a feeling i'd rather be in my own clothes..
a couple of pillows and blankets.. CHECK! :)
thanks thanks, keep it coming!
hmmm, I'm paranoid, so I took a gender neutral outfit as well (even when we knew what we were having), just in case we got a delivery surprise. I did the hospital gowns with Joshua and my own clothes with Lydia and I think you're on the right track with taking something to wear and playing it by ear. I felt better in my own clothes, but I was too sore to do anything extra with Joshua.
I would skip the diaper bag/diapers/wipes, etc. You already feel like you're moving out when you get ready to leave and the hospital will provide everything you "have" to have to take care of baby while you're there and until you get home. I'm with Liz on the boppy, I loved having it at home, but more as a supported place to put the baby than as a nursing aid. If you don't already have some, get some lanolin (I like Lansinoh brand) because you'll be sore from feedings before you get home and I haven't heard the greatest things about Foote's lactation/nursing support, so you might be out of luck getting a sample of that while you're there.
Hmm, usually hospital rooms are heated to about 100 in my experience, so if you're trying to pare down items, the robe might be unnecessary. Hospitals usually provide a light one for privacy purposes and you likely won't use a heavier one for anything else.
If you don't like the generic hospital receiving blankets and shirts, you might want to take more of your own baby clothing/blankets. In my experience I've found hospital clothing to be very harsh due to the way it's washed for sanitation and it gave both of my kiddos delicate newborn skin really bad rashes before we left. It's also quite boring for all those pictures you'll be taking! :)
You're almost there--any day now! Can't wait to see the pictures. :)
For the baby, these are the things I remember Foote providing: diapers, wipes (just wet gauze in the beginning), pacifier, blankets, hat... That's all I can think of at the moment. I never used my Boppy in the hospital. The pillows were better when in bed. When the baby is born, they put them in these rediculous looking straight-jacket like shirts. When Holly was born, we brought some of those "sack" like gowns for her and they were much better, and allowed for easy access for diaper changes. I'd also bring an extra going home outfit, just in case. Holly barfed all over hers..
For yourself, I'd bring comfy slippers for walking the halls while in labor, a headband or something to hold your hair back if it bugs you to have it in your face, nursing pads (I didn't need mine right away, but some women do) flip flops and toiletries for the shower, your own overnight maxi pads (the hospital-provided ones kinda suck. They also have these mesh-like panties you can wear postpartum, or you can bring your own that you don't mind getting ruined... 'nuff said.
I delivered at Foote both times and they provide diapers, gauze (to wet and use as wipes), diaper rash cream, a nasal aspirator, a hat, a pacifier, and samples of formula. They'll have clothes for the baby and blankets. I think they had burp cloths too. We also got a fruit basket with some other snacks both times. And even if it's not a meal time they'll get you a meal shortly after delivery. There is a snack area that has fruit and cereal and some other things. They provide toiletries too, but I used my own. I tried BFing after Ella and I think they gave me a sample of Lansinoh. I FF Amelia so I'm not sure about that time.
Our thermostat was messed up after Amelia's birth and it was HOT. Then we woke up freezing at about 5am after I messed with it, lol. Both times I just wore the hospital gowns and wore a second one as a robe when I had visitors or I left the room. Less mess to deal with that way. Slippers were important.
I didn't like the lactation nurse I had with Ella but I never met any of the others. And some of the regular nurses were better than others. I loved the nurses I had the last time. Most are pretty accommodating if you tell them what you want.
It's getting close! Good luck and congratulations in advance!
so much great info!!
i've not heard good things about the lactation consultants at foote either, which makes me nervous.
lansinoh-check
nursing pads-check
sleep gown--check.. good idea jess!
receiving blankets-check
headband thing-check
flip-flops... hadn't thought of that since it's january--check :)
i feel like we're moving in! :)
I thought of another thing - the baby book (I think you have one, right?). Or a notebook would be good too. It's good for writing down little things that happen when you first have your little one, or things while you are in labor (though you may well not be in the mood).
Oh - and I took my "what to expect" book when Lucas was born and I'm so glad I did. I didn't want to keep bugging the dr. or nurse when I had little questions about what was going on. It had info about preeclampsia and HELLP syndrome too, which I had at the time.
Wow, I'm so excited for you....It's so fun to read about someone's journey into motherhood... Other than Serina, I've never been able to follow along so closely. I keep waiting for the day your blog says "It's a Girl/Boy!"
:)
And, I have nothing to contribute to these comments, since I am not a mom yet. :)
skip the pacifier for the baby. to give breastfeeding your best shot, you'll want wait an introduce the pacifier after the baby's latch is good. some say six weeks, i say at least two.
you need snacks for energy for you, during labor. hospitals don't provide this (ice chips are not energy!), and they probably won't condone you bringing it in, but just hide it in there. birth is like running a marathon, and runners wouldn't starve themselves of energy, would they? try nuts, granola, crackers, just anything you actually enjoy eating....and orange juice for after the birth, to reclaim some energy.
i say, if you're going to be at the hospital, get their clothes dirty and let them do the laundry. one outfit for coming home. then again, pants *are* nice to have.
Post a Comment