02 February, 2009

an update

Well, Levi is almost a week old now. How is that possible?

The hospital was an eventful stay. We ended up being there until Saturday with the whole cold turned respiratory infection business. So, while he's almost a week old it doesn't seem like it since we have hardly been home.

Levi is doing well. We made our first trip to the Ped this morning. They wanted to see him because he had lost quite a bit of weight in the hospital. Nursing was a struggle in the hospital, and still is many times a day... he was all the way down to 8lbs 2oz in the hospital. There were lots of tears over nursing in the hospital, but it gets a little easier with each passing day. Today that work paid off as my little champ had gained 4 oz since Saturday so we were quite thrilled with his progress. He does have what they call "newborn rash". Apparantley it's quite common, it gets gross and spreads, but it doesn't hurt or bother them at all. Strange.

I'm feeling okay. I'm still sore, and struggling to take it easy. If you know me you know I like to stay busy and get things done, and it's a challenge for me to sit and not worry about the things that need to get done around the house. Mike has been A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. I couldn't ask for more from him. He has been my rock this last week. He was more than I could have asked for during labor and delivery. It makes me so incredibly thankful for the relationship we have as a couple. I can't imagine going at this parenting thing alone.

We never dreamed we'd be in the hospital as long as we were. He was scheduled to only be off through Friday. Mike called and was able to take today and tomorrow off of work, but Wednesday he is back to work, which means I'm flying solo starting then. I'd be lying if I didn't say I am worried about flying on my own, still recovering from the c-section. Please pray for me as that begins shortly.

Please pray for us as we learn to juggle our new little life of 3. Also, Mike started up his next set of online classes today. So please pray for him as he balances work full time, class, and being a dad, I'll be balancing stay-at-home-mama/organizer of daily life. :) at least until I return to work. Not to mention throwing in some time for just mom and dad.

We're feeling good, just adjusting to this new life. Hoping to be back up to posting again soon, with pictures. We've taken a ton, and I hope to be able to get a little bit of time to download all of that soon. Right now, any spare moment I have often results in napping.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

so glad you're home and getting adjusted. and kudos to you for trucking on with the nursing...it is hard at first! praying for you guys with all the adjustments.

Liz K said...

Oh girl! I totally understand that being scared! Totally normal! And TAKE IT EASY!!! Plan on doing nothing that day, nothing at all! In fact, have Mike get you a good movie or to and spend all day on the couch with that sweet baby! And sleep when you can. I will be praying! And nursing is hard to figure out, but I Promise it gets easier...in a few weeks, you both will know better what you are doing and Levi will just go at it! Hang in there...keep persevering!

Love ya, wish I could come help!

Liz said...

Jen, Jen--you can do it! I second what Liz wrote, just give yourself a break and take it a little at a time. And enjoy the time to just relax with your wee little man, they grow faster than it seems possible. Sleep whenever you get the chance is definitely the best overused advice ever--I didn't do it enough with Joshua and took it to heart with Lydia and it makes a big difference. Hang in there with the nursing too, it is HARD when you're getting started, and it can seem like it takes 100% of your time, but it does get easier after the first couple of weeks. You're doing the best things you can for Levi and you can already see from all of your pictures that he's absolutely in love with his mommy (and his daddy)! He's one lucky little boy. :)