Packing, Laundry, Re-packing, Organizing...
That's what's happening around here. We are trying to get ready to head up state for thanksgiving with Mike's family. We are planning on leaving tomorrow evening.
The plan is to wait until Levi's bedtime, and then leave. In theory, he'll sleep the entire way there. Getting him into the house could be tricky, but I'd rather handle that than an ever-increasing cranky kid in the backseat.
This packing business has gotten complicated. We have so much more stuff to take. My in-laws don't really have any baby stuff around, so we have to take EVERYTHING we could possibly need. I'm trying to figure out food. How do you mama's take food with you? I assume we'll just take a cooler with his stuff in it. He is eating a good chunk of table food these days, but not everything, so we definitely need to pack stuff.
And how do you handle naps and holidays? ugh. Dinner is at Noon on Thursday that's a fine time for lunch... but then the afternoon comes. Levi naps around 1:30-2 normally, and we are having it about a half hour away from where we are staying. I'm not sure how to handle this. We can stay, but he won't sleep, and he'll be cranky, or we can be party poopers and leave.... what would you do??
on the plus side, i'm way excited for...
turkey and stuffing and pumpkin pie and mashed potatoes....
yum yum double yum!
5 comments:
The way I pack food is in it's uncooked form. Like I bring whole sweet pototoes, or whole avacodoes. Both sets of partents are pretty good about having things like whole milk and plain yogurt, but sometimes I will bring that too.
As for naps...well, could you bring the pack and play and set it up at the house you are having the meal at? I would weigh what is best for Levi...I think we are at a point with Elliot where it would be better to keep him to his routine than be social. My kids are my priority. Hope it all goes well for you! Happy Thanksgiving!
good idea on food... i tend to make his food for an entire week, so we already have it made in the fridge.. i should have thought that through a bit more..
we could take the pnp... we're already dragging it up there and thought of dragging it one more place isn't appealing... who knows...
thanks liz!
I agree with Liz on the pack 'n play if you think it will be viewed as anti-social or rude to leave. But, is is SO HARD to do holidays when you're the only one with a small child. You have to make your family your first priority, but it's hard to do that without people misunderstanding. You know Levi best and you'll be the best one to judge if he can have a schedule change and get right back on his routine, or if he'll just be miserable to be around for the rest of the weekend. (Lydia would have been fine, Joshua would have been a monster...)
Don't both of Mike's siblings have kids too? You guys might need to have a family pow-wow about picking a more appropriate dinner time, like 4:30 or 5 pm maybe??? That's the only way we've been able to make peace with the whole holiday meals situation.
Good luck figuring it out...and Happy Thanksgiving!
they do, liz... but this is extended family... so.... well we all know how that is...
and levi would be like your joshua. he does not handle schedule changes well. at. all.
One of by BIGGEST annoyances is that family parties/dinners always seem to be planned for naptime. AHHH!!!!
Post a Comment