I've been wanting to try making homemade yogurt for a while. I finally got up the gumption a couple of weeks ago and it was a major
FAIL.
I was disappointed, but decided I'd try again using a different method. I scoured the internet looking for a recipe I felt I could do and was s.p.e.l.l.e.d. out for this novice yogurt maker.
I finally found it and
www.kitchenstewardship.com
I printed it off, and Mike looked at me like I was crazy. It was 3 pages long, but I was SURE I could follow it and be okay.
I heated my milk to 185 in mason jars on the stove
*note I don't have a thermometer but she gave ways to do it without one*
I then let it cool to around 100 degrees on my counter. (it took about 90 minutes)
I added 2TB of natural yogurt to each mason jar and gently stirred.
meanwhile, I had my pot of water still boiling on the stove.
I yanked out our cooler, put towels in it
Put the lid on my pot and nestled it down in my cooler.
Once the yogurt was stirred in, I put the lids on, and nestled those inside the cooler as well. The recipe noted that the longer the yogurt sits the more tart it will become. Makes sense since your souring the milk. She suggested anywhere from 4-24 hours. I set my timer for 6 hours and went about cleaning up, chasing Levi etc.
After the timer went off, I took my trusty mason jars, and then put them in freezer for an hour.
And voila!
There was a layer of whey on top, I opted to scoop it off, and seriously, my crunchy, granola, yogurt making friends. this stuff is THICK. Thick and Yummy!
At 6 hours, I found it had a slightly sweet flavor, which I would prefer to the really tart yogurt.
Check out the recipe!
Let me know if you try it!
1 comment:
making yogurt is fun, and once you get the hang of it, it's so easy! I make it and strain it so it's thinker (greek style) for Sophia. It has a smoother taste than what you buy at the store.
Glad you had success!
Post a Comment