Last night we were invited by some friends to go to a christmas program at this small country church. We decided, kind of a whim, to go...
First up: We received a history lesson. This tiny church was built in 1844. There was no plumbing in the church because plumbing didn't exist. A small heater sat in the back that had obviously been installed at some point. It reminded me of a one room schoolhouse setup. The pews were tiny, and straight-backed, one pew fit about 4 people. It was dimly lit, and had the faint smell of moth balls. They also had a large, what looked like a china cabinet, that had small cubicles in it, and inside were all of the hymnals, and it was definitely made for that purpose! I'd never seen anything like it. The inside was lined with wood paneling that had been put up throughout the years. There was an old upright piano that was so out of tune, when hit right notes, it sounded like wrong ones. There was also an old pump organ! There is normally a woman who is in her 90's who plays it, but she had broke her arm in a fall. This church is not an "active" church anymore. It sits closed, but once a year, they open the doors, dust off the cobwebs, and invite people in to celebrate the birth of Jesus!
Seriously it was the most delightful little program I have EVER been to. we walked in the door, found our place next to some friends. We hadn't more than sat down, and this lady comes up and says.. I hear you're a "professional" piano player.. would you like to play something for us? uh.... I guess I can... which basically meant I made it up because I didn't have music or anything with me... let's see what else was there... several duets of people who were the most tone deaf singers I'd EVER heard. at one point we all had to stand up and introduce ourselves. there was maybe 60? people in the church, and it was PACKED. though, the old-timers kept reminiscing about the time they had 99 people and 1 mouse. no joke. :) Most of them were related and lived about 2 miles or less from the church. oh it was so delightful.
Levi of course was uncooperative and didn't want to sit still. One time he escaped arms reach, and ran up to the front of the church, climbed up on the platform, and when everyone laughed.. he burst into a big belly laughter.. oh and there was the woman who played her cello.. the minute she started playing he laughed hysterically the entire time she played. it was so funny. Mike and I couldn't help but laugh which of course made him laugh even more... I think what was funny was that it truly was a I'm so delighted by her music, I'm laughing kind of deal. We were concerned about his crazy behavior, but everyone kept saying... oh let him run around, it's no big deal!
At the end a couple came in dressed as Santa and Mrs. Claus. All the kids came up and sat on his lap.... .. and when we left every person got a bag of freshly made caramel corn and some chocolates...
oh my. it was the funniest and most endearing program i have ever been to in my entire life, and i've seen many! The only thing that would have made it better was if I would have had my camera with me to document this lovely experience.
On the way home from our delightful adventure, Mike and I both commented, on, while these were not um... stellar musicians, this group of people were coming together to truly celebrate what Christmas is about, and share in each other's joy, laughter, and concern.... Mike said.. it's kind of what Paul talks about.. coming together, and whoever has a word may share it. That's what this tiny church was all about last night.
What a blessing!
2 comments:
what fun! Glad you had a great time! Isn't it nice to be around people who are totally ok with whatever your kid does? Was this the church where they did a play about slavery that Noah was in when we were at SAU?
Nothing says Christmas like very-very-local Christmas concerts...Gotta love it!
Post a Comment