23 December, 2010

"Crips"

It took us about a week to decipher what on earth Levi meant when he said, "crips"... we finally realized it.

CHRISTMAS!

Remember that country christmas program we went to last week? That was when he first starting saying it... "crips, crips, crips" over and over again when santa came in at the end of the program. I, for the life of me, couldn't figure it out. It took several days, and that's when I realized it... Levi knows who "santa" is, and we haven't done anything to teach him about it.

Which brings up the current debate in our house. "santa or no santa?

Up to this point in little mans' life, we haven't really done santa. Last year he was so little, and quite frankly, christmas was less than christmasy, as mike's job was ending in a matter of days, and our life was in boxes. This year, we opted to not take him to see santa because it would basically have ended with him screaming, and I just would rather forgo that mess.

And then.. out of the blue... Levi is associating Santa with Christmas.
From where?
I don't know.

Mike and I have gone back and forth on what to do. Mike is leaning towards not doing santa, and I guess, for lack of a better word, I'm on the fence. I see Mike's point, and I want to honor that, I also love the idea of making Christmas magical, but that's all I've got on why I want to do it. (which doesn't necessarily seem valid) I think maybe because it was part of my childhood, I would love to pass that on to Levi. But this year... the presents are wrapped and under the tree, there will be no "santa".... and I dare say we need to decide by next year what we are doing.

So... what do you do in your family?

Santa or No Santa?
What traditions do you have?

I'm all ears.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

that's super cute...the crips thing.

we decided not to do santa. we are keeping things super simple for Christmas anyway...and we want to focus more on the reason for the season, i guess. it's a hard decision, though.