What do you say to a friend whose sister is dying??
That is the question of the day. My dear dear friend, Nikie, called me today. Her sister, who is 27, suffered a massive stroke on Tuesday. It is a rare, but very serious, stroke that affects the middle of your brain. The drs. are unable to do surgery to relieve the pressure on her brain, because of where it's located.
Apparantley, she had been experiencing some headaches and nausea. They thought she was pregnant, but had gone to the drs, and they found nothing. Tuesday, her husband came home, and found her completely unresponsive. They rushed her to the hospital, and after extensive testing, found she had suffered this stroke. Nikie said, barring a miracle, they do not expect her to live but a few days. She is awake, but completely and totally unaware of her surroundings, or who anyone is.
I can't imagine what that is like. Going through our miscarriage was one of the toughest things we have ever done as a couple, but watching your 27 yr old daughter dying from a stroke has to be infinitely worse. I feel so helpless. I want so badly to be there for Nikie, to do something to help her, but I know I can't. I know the best thing I can do is get down on my knees and pray. All I could say was I'm sorry, which seems so ridiculously inapprpriate for what is happening, but I didn't know what else to say.
I am grateful to a BIG God who loves us and cares for us, and has a plan so much greater than we know. I repeat that to myself everyday and I know Nikie knows that as well...but it doesn't make it any easier at times like this... I know Nikie and her family can at least rest in God's love and peace, which makes me feel a little better.
It makes you stop and be thankful a bit more for family. I have a sister, 1 sister, 1 sibling, who also happens to be my very very very bestest friend in the world. I can't imagine losing her. So, to my sister, I LOVE YOU, very much!!!
Take a moment today, pray for Nikie and her family, and let those around you know how much they mean to you....
No comments:
Post a Comment