19 July, 2008

a dear friend

A dear dear friend of mine just found out she lost her baby.

It is amazing to me how much it brings me back to that moment in time when the doctor looked at Mike and I and told us our baby had died. I cannot describe to you how we felt in those minutes, days, and months following our miscarriage, nor will I attempt because words are not adequate.
It continues to amaze me how often I feel okay with everything, and how hearing those words from a friend can bring it all back in such a real way for us. Our precious baby would be 2 1\2 months old right now... .... it still catches me off guard to say that, our lives would be so different right now, but I'm also thankful.....
I'm thankful for the ways God has taught us over these past 9 months. I'm thankful that we have grown as a couple together, that we've learned to lean on each other like we never have. I'm thankful that we will be better parents someday because of the experiences we have gained through this time. I'm thankful that I can be a better friend to a friend who experiences a miscarriage.
Did you know that 1 in 4 women will experience a miscarriage? 1 in 4... that number still astounds me, and yet it is something that is virtually unspeakable in society. I wish it was something talked about more often; that women felt comfortable talking about it. I am struck by how often I feel uncomfortable talking about it. It's such a deeply personal thing, but I often feel like there are so many things we could gain if we did talk about it. I wonder how many women sit beside me, or talk with me on a regular basis, have had miscarriages. I really think the number would be astounding, which is why I think it is worth talking about. I don't know how to begin solving the problem, but I think talking about it is a start, so for now, that's where I'll begin.

Just thinking about my dear friend, her husband and two girls this evening. Praying that she experiences an overwhelming sense of God's love and peace during this difficult time for them.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

oh i am praying for your friend, too. such a hard hard thing. i definitely agree with you...if we could talk more about this and feel comfortable doing so, it would really help things. when i lost my baby earlier this year, i was amazed at how many women "came out of the woodwork" and said they had experienced the same thing. why is it this is something that is not talked about more? thanks for sharing...and i'm praying for you and your friend!

Jessica said...

Aww, I am so sorry for your friend!! :(