22 July, 2008

minestrone soup

Minstrone Soup

Last night I made minstrone soup and it was A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. Saturday night Mike and I had a date at Olive Garden. I had gotten their minestrone soup and loved it. So after that I was on the hunt for a recipe. Well, with a little internet googling I found a knock off olive garden recipe and just had to try it, and I had stuff from our garden to use.
So, here's the recipe! It's kind of long, but it's really worth it!

3 TB olive oil
1 C finely chopped onion
1\2 C chopped zucchini
1\2 C frozen green beans
1\4 C finely chopped celery
4 tsp minced garlic (I used 4 cloves)
4 cups of veggie broth
(make sure to not use chicken--too salty, or just use water)
2 15 oz. cans of kidney beans
2 15 oz.cans of white beans
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
1\2 C carrot (shredded, or finely chopped)

2 TB parsley ( i didn't have this, so i didn't put it in)
1 1\2 tsp oregano
1 1\2 tsp salt
1\2 tsp pepper
1\2 tsp basil
1\4 tsp thyme
3 C of hot water
4 cups fresh spinach
1\2 C of small shell pasta

1) Saute onion, celery, garlic, beans, and zucchini in oil until onions become translucent
2) Add vegetable broth to pot, plus tomatoes, beans, carrots, hot water and spices.
3) Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes
(I think longer would be better)
4) Add spinach leaves and pasta cook for another 20 minutes.

Makes about 8 1 1\2 C servings..
It made a ton.. we're having it for dinner tonight! :)
I really think this is a "add whatever you have" kind of recipe. It seems like a ton of ingredients, but I had most of them in the house.
I'm sure you could mix and match all sorts of veggies with no problem.
If you change it, let me know! :)

4 comments:

Liz K said...

Yummmmmmy! I can't wait to try it! Maybe I'll make it on Thursday night when we are home because of cookout! Thanks for sharing!

Rebecca said...

that sounds great! we'll definitely have to try it! thanks for sharing!

Rebecca said...

hi! thanks for your encouragement! the girls and i will be flying out on aug 30, and jonathan will come out with the moving truck/car a couple weeks after that. i cannot wait! hope your week is going fantastically!

Jessica said...

That sounds really yummy! I really like Olive Garden's, so I will have to try this sometime!