25 June, 2009

on strike

This kid of ours has decided the world is too interesting to eat. Why take the time, right? Too many grand things to see and explore. I would say that 80% of the time, he does not seem interested in nursing. I have no idea what has caused this new occurence, but I can tell you I am extremely frustrated. I've read up on it, and I wonder if perhaps it's what they call a "nursing strike"?

Sounds kind of funny doesn't?

I have this visual of nurses in white dresses
and hats walking around with picket signs, but I digress...

He wants to snack, not eat. I don't know if it's the hotter weather that has caused this phenomenon, or what, but I'm frustrated with it. Most of the time, eating ends in a screaming match. The only times he eats well are in the morning when he wakes up and in the evening when he goes to sleep.

So I hit the checklist.
1) Has my diet changed? NO
2) Has there been an extreme schedule change? NO
3) Is he teething? Possibly? He stuffs everything into his mouth, but i dont' see or feel any teeth.
4) Ear infection? He doesn't seem fussy or to be running a fever.
5) Cold? I don't think so.
6) I wonder if he just wants more than milk to eat. He is just getting one bowl of cereal right now, and I'm afraid that if I try to do more then he'll be even less interested in nursing. So for now, I keep forcing the issue, and figure he'll eat when he's hungry, though I am worried about my milk production.....

The only thing I can think of is that I hadn't been taking a prenatal vitamin, I kept forgetting to buy them. I started taking them again, and I wonder if that's changed things... maybe? I don't know.

Seriously? When did I talk like this before having a kid?
All decency goes out the window, I swear.

2 comments:

Liz K said...

could be all of those things you mentioned. My niece went on a nursing strike and she REFUSED to nurse. Jenn (my sil) tried expressing and giving the milk to her in a cup, freezing it into ice cubes and giving those to her...she eventually got over it. If you are really concerned, call his ped or your ob and talk with the nurses, they are so helpful!

Liz said...

Hey Jen, hang in there! Four months is hard because they start realizing that the world is going on around them and they want to be part of it. Add any of those things you mentioned and it can seem that they're never in the mood for eating. They also get much more efficient around this age, so 4-5 minutes of nursing can get them as much as they needed 15min for previously. If he's happy and growing you can be pretty sure he's getting what he needs--though I know it doesn't make it easier on you.