29 June, 2009

to eat or not to eat?

that is the question.

Levi is 5 months old now. For the life of me, I don't know what to do about food. Everyone I talk to says, oh I started my kid at 4 months on solids. Everything I read, however, says to wait until they are 6 months before beginning on solids, so I waiver.. do I do what everyone says to do, or do I wait?

Right now, he is getting cereal twice a day, once in the morning, and once at night. I think I'll stick with this for the moment, but then comes the inevitable

in what order do I introduce foods?

Some things say veggies first, green specifically, then I read things that say don't introduce peas and other things because of allergies. Then move to orange veggies, then eventually fruit. Then, I read oh it doesn't really matter. It makes my head hurt, why isn't there a chart that says... do this, this and then this....

However, he is nursing more and more frequently these days and I don't know if it's because he's hungry or what. maybe, maybe not. I think it might be because it's hot and we all tend to snack more and eat less during the summer months.

Any thoughts, fellow mama's?

3 comments:

Beth said...

I had a January baby and a March baby. I remember many summer days, when they were about 5 months old, spent in marathon nursing sessions. Without looking it up, I can't recall how old they were when they started baby food. Cereal was about 5 months or so, but the "mush" as they now call it - I can't remember. I remember they were begging for things I was eating and they could sit alone pretty well. That is what tipped me over the edge into baby food land. As always, follow your baby and your heart. Use the wisdom from those around you mixed with YOUR knowledge of your baby. :)

And enjoy lazy summer days - next summer you will be chasing Levi around like crazy and won't have a moment to sit and relax :)

Liz K said...

I know this is easier to say than do...but don't stress. He isn't going to go to kindergarden eating only rice. I promise. Take your pick on what you want to start with next. I don't know that I have ever heard of someone being allergic to veggies...go with what you think is good. I like sweet potatoes or yams, peas, green beans, carrots, squash, spinage, prunes, applesauce, mashed bananas. All good...just start slow and add as you feel like you should, ever week or so. Oh avacados and tofu are good too.

Does Levi grab for things while you eat? Elliot can't stand to watch us eat without getting his own. Really, it's not as complicated as we make it. Just relax, and remember, he would be fine until he is a year old just nursing, honest, babies all over the world get only milk until then and are fine. You are doing great!

Ashley Pichea [PicheaPlace.com] said...

I think the nursing thing is the summer heat - David is nursing like CRAZY right now! (He was down to twice a day with a cup of formula for lunch, and today alone, he nursed four times and had four additional cups of formula.)

As far as food, applesauce is always a good starter. It really doesn't seem to matter what order you introduce foods as long as you don't introduce more than one at a time (to make sure he doesn't have any adverse reactions to anything - three days is usually adequate between introduction). AVOID eggs, oranges, and honey until after he's one.

And, I agree with Liz - milk is the key element of his diet. Everything else is just learning to eat and like different foods. Just have fun with it - don't stress too much! :)