14 August, 2008

any advice from the mama's?

so... anyone out there have a stellar idea for sickness? all day sickness? who invented it as morning sickness?? it's not even close to that for me...
I try not to complain too much, but today has just pushed me over the edge. I'm sick everyday on a regular basis, but today took it to a new level. I've been sick all day, a pounding headache on top of it, and my face looks like a giant swollen balloon from getting sick, not to mention all the broken cappillaries around my eyes.
anyone have any tricks they swear by? I've tried quite a few, nothing has worked so far, but at 17 1\2 weeks, and still puking every day, i'm willing to do just about anything...

7 comments:

Liz K said...

I never threw up with either of the kids, but felt so AWEFUL that I wished I could. I found that drinking cold water with lots of lemon in it helped, sour stuff, like cucumbers with vingear eased the yuckiness. Baths are always a help for me, no matter what the problem is:) Sorry you are feeling so gross! No fun at all! Hang in there, you can do it!

Rebecca said...

red raspberry leaf tea is supposed to help with the nausea. and also very good for strengthening the uterus and providing the baby with some great stuff, too. i just recently started drinking it, so i wasn't able to try it during the nausea part of my pregnancy.

peppermint may help.

that's all i can think of right now. hope it helps. and praying for you to get through this yucky time!

Rebecca said...

yes you can buy it at health food stores. that's where i got mine the first time. i actually ordered a pound of loose leaf online b/c it's cheaper that way in the end (a pound is a LOT of tea). i got mine from frontiercoop.com

i hope it works for you!!

Liz K said...

Thanks...at this point it's hard to feel pretty in anything. I thought of something else...ginger is suppose to work...it helped some...you can get ginger drops, or altoids make a ginger version.

Liz said...

Aw Jen, I'm sorry you're still not feeling well. That awful nausea/upset feeling is the worst, and I too have no idea who decided it was "morning sickness" or that it only lasts the first trimester.
I was sick with both kids, but more so with Lydia and it held on for a long time (probably everyday until 19 or 20 weeks). If it's any consolation, at least for me it was worst right before it FINALLY went away.
I do have a suggestion that helped a LOT for me when I was feeling so sick with Lydia. It was recommended by my OB and a friend who's a pharmacist, so quite safe for a pregnant girl too. :) A supplement of Vitamin B-6 (50mg) once a day. I started feeling some relief within days of taking it and continued whenever I was having a "yucky" day for the rest of my pregnancy.
Whatever you find that works for you or even if you just have to stick it out, I'll be praying that you feel better soon. And know that it's all worth it in the end...just keep repeating that over and over. :)

Liz said...

The vitamin that is supposed to help with nausea (at least the only one I know of) is B-6. It was probably just a mommy-typo, but on my blog you wrote B-12. I don't think B-12 would probably hurt you, but I know nothing about it, so I thought I'd just mention it. Oh, I also remembered after talking to my friend again (the pharmacist, expecting her 2nd any day now) that diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is supposed to help too. I never tried it though, since Benadryl in general knocks me right out even when I'm not pregnant and that didn't seem like a good idea when in charge of a toddler as well. But, worth a try if it doesn't have the same effect on you.
Welcome to mommy-hood, we all have those days where we lose it for one reason or another sometimes. Hang in there!

The Scott Household said...

Watch to make sure you're taking in enough fluids. If it gets too bad that you simply can't do it, don't be afraid/ashamed (as I was) to talk to your Dr. I was so horribly nauseated that I was trying to make myself puke so that I would feel better. I eventually caved in, by the advice of my husband, to talk to my doctor and he prescribed Zofran (I took 1/2). I felt like a failure to myself and my baby for not being able to handle the sickness.
Hope you find relief soon!