11 August, 2009

the results

We went to the fair. It was disappointing.

We went Sunday Evening. We didn't have a lot of time, but we weren't sure how Levi would do and it's 1\2 price on Sunday's so we figured, hey... if he has a massive meltdown at least we paid 1\2 price, right? When we pulled into the fair, they gave us our price to get in. It wasn't 1\2 price. Apparantley they changed rules this year, but didn't tell anyone. I complained.. believe me, I complained, but it got us nowhere, except an extra $6 out of our wallets.

In case you haven't noticed, I have an extreme love for the fair. We've always gone. When I was young April and I would go with our grandparents every summer, then we'd go later in the week just our family. Our fair has 10 barns, filled with horses, beef cattle, dairy cows, goats, pigs, sheep, chickens, bunnies, draft horses, ducks, turkeys, a birthing barn.. everything you can imagine, and that's why I go to the fair, it's like a massive petting zoo, and i LOVE to pet the animals, (much to my husbands chagrin)

Our fair friends warned us that it might not be great this year. Because of the economy in our state the fair reduced their "premiums" which is what people can get paid for winning a specific class. They told us that, because of that, they were afraid people wouldn't bring their animals, and sadly they were right. There were basically 3 of the big barns with no animals in them. It was sad.very.very.sad.

Hopefully next year it will be better, and we will definitely be entering things, so if nothing else we'll help make the fair a better place.

Anyway.. onward and upward right? So we went to check out our swiss chard.
It received 2nd place. The one that won 1st was more evenly sized. Our pieces were all over the map, but this one every piece was basically the same size which we dutifully noted for next year.

 
Posted by Picasa



Remember I told you about the market stands where you can win $500? This was the grand prize winner of that category. Something about the sign that says 44th year at the fair makes me think we have a ways to go before we can compete in that category.

 
Posted by Picasa


And just because he's cute. Levi.. shall we say.... fights sleep?... on a regular basis. It normally means we put him down and he screams like we're cutting off his foot until he falls asleep. The other night after the screaming subsided I went in to check on him. This is how he had fallen asleep.. too funny.


 
Posted by Picasa


oh.. and thankfully Levi basically cut the tooth in one night... thank the Lord! however, I think we may be working on tooth numbero dos.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

your tomatoes look yummy. i really want to plant a garden next year. i've been reading the squarefoot gardening book recently. so cool! love the pic of levi sleeping. we have some interesting pics of our kids sleeping, too. fun stuff! and congrats on your 2nd place swiss chard!!