25 August, 2009

snakes

I"ll admit it.

I'm not a lover of reptiles. namely. snakes. I've never been a big fan, I think it stems from when I stepped on one as a young child. Anyway, like I said I'm not a fan of them, but I've tolerated them over the years. They live in their space, I live in mine, and we'll do just fine.

Last week, I was at my sisters house. She has a HUGE fear of snakes. We were working on taking some stuff to their garage. We opened the door from their house, and there inside their cozy warm dry garage was a snake, curled up on the floor. April really panicked and pulled the big sister card. ( I don't think she has ever pulled that out of her pocket) She ran inside screaming you're the big sister you HAVE to do something. I mustered up my courage, got a broom off the wall and pushed the thing out of the garage. I shrieked and yelled to April to shut the door! April then decided it was still too close to the garage so she made me push it again. So, I pushed it again. By now, Mr. Snake had caught on. He was NOT happy with the giant yellow stick attacking him. He had coiled himself up and was in strike position. I shoved him closer to the grass, and said, enough. close the garage. April then decided she wanted to conquer her fear so she came running at the thing with a snow shovel to whack it to death. To the snakes wise discernment he slithered into the grass and did not die by the our hand.

Later on that week, I was at their house again. I was walking their dog, my parents dog, and pushing Levi in his stroller. We walked down to the playground. I tied the dogs to the bench and was pushing Levi in the swing. I could tell the dogs were watching something. yea. it was a snake. I gathered enough courage to untie them, and then we immediately left the park for home.

Yesterday I went to our garden. in 4 years we have NEVER seen a snake. and in fact, it's never even occurred to me that there could be a snake in our garden. I was picking tomatoes minding my own business, enjoying the sunshine, and the fact that I didn't have Levi with me. (thanks, Dad) when I heard... ***swish swish swish***
I looked up to see about a 2 1\2 foot snake maybe 2 inches in diameter slithering less than a foot away from me. I screamed, ran out of the garden, and left the rest of it unpicked. I hopped in the car and headed for home. Guess who will not be picking at the garden the rest of the summer. yeah, that'd be me. UGH. I just keep thinking about how that nasty thing could have been slithering over my vegetables.

That's 3 snakes in less than 2 weeks, and I'm done with them.
I hate them.

2 comments:

Liz K said...

gross! And you are too funny!

Ashley Pichea [PicheaPlace.com] said...

It must be the season for snakes... I found one under our deflated pool a week or so ago... it just stared at me and I stared back.