I am playing for a musical right now at a local high school,
Aida, the Elton John version, NOT the opera. : )
The basic plot:
It takes place in Egypt. Egypt is at war with a neighboring country; Nubia.
The prince of Egypt, Radames, is engaged (arranged) to be married to an Egyptian princess, Amneris. While these countries are at war, Egypt captures several Nubians. One of the Nubians (Aida) catches Radames' eyes, and he takes her and gives her to Amneris to be her maid-servant.
Long story short. Radames and Aida fall in love. The affair is found out about, and according to Egyptian law, they must die. So, Amneris, who is still very much in love with Radames ,pleads with her father to let them die together, so they are buried beneaths the sands of Egypt.
Such a depressing show, but very poignant; very powerful.
It's a beautiful show and the kids are doing an amazing job... I however am EXHAUSTED. I have been in rehearsal every night for the past week and a half and the last two nights, it has gone until 10:30. Thank heavens we are "dark" tonight, meaning no rehearsal. Then it's onward and upward, with 2 shows Thursday, a show Friday, no show Saturday (because the kids have prom), and a matinee on Sunday.
I'll breathe a sigh of relief when I'm done...
but I LOVE what I do, and I LOVE these kids.
So, while the life of the musician, sometimes means really late nights, it is my passion and what I know I'm supposed to be doing.
I am SO incredibly thankful for the talent that has been given me, and the opportunity I have to work with great high school students each and every day.
No comments:
Post a Comment