diagnosis: ear infection
After an extremely rough night here at the ok corral, I decided a call to the pediatrician was in order. Levi was inconsolable last night. We went out last night to a church thing. He fell asleep on the way home. He woke up when we were changing him, and it took us over an hour to get him back to sleep. He then woke up at 11:30 S.C.R.E.A.M.I.N.G. Nothing we did helped him. We thought maybe he was teething because when we gave him Hyland's Teething Tablets, he calmed down a bit. We finally got him to sleep about 12:30, I think out of pure exhaustion. Mike held him and they slept in the chair until about 2 when Mike woke up. He put him down, and Levi slept until 4, where he woke up again screaming. That time, I convinced him to nurse, and he fell back asleep.
I called our pediatrician, to which of course they said, well what are his symptoms? I had nothing other than.. "this isn't my kid" He's not fussy, he's not irritable and he is right now. Which of course the lady ran her list of questions. Is he running a fever, is he eating, nursing, okay? Is he pulling on his ear? I could sense her "you're just a panicked mom" voice as I responded to each question. No fever, eating fine, not pulling on his ear... but I just kept saying THIS ISN'T MY KID. I finally said, maybe it's just a cold, but I'd really like you to see him. I'll feel a whole lot better paying by copay and having you tell me it's just a cold if that's what it is. She finally consented. It was 10:20, she asked how far away we lived? I told her 5 minutes, and she said, we can see him at 10:30. So we got in, and the diagnosis indeed was an ear infection. I'm so glad we didn't wait, because I'm sure it would have only gotten worse over the weekend.
She said he probably got it from his cold. I asked about teething, and she had a look and said his top 2 will probably pop through any day now, so it could be a combo deal. I called my mom, and she said.. oh you had ear infections all the time!
J.O.Y.
2 comments:
Poor Levi - ear infections are NO fun...
okay, so I laughed out loud, to a very perplexed dog and quiet house, at your comment about dr. mcd and the classes - I'll be sure to ask him :)
Would you recommend going to the class for breastfeeding or touring the birthing center?
oh poor little levi!
Post a Comment